Friday, October 20, 2006

Luis Gispert


Luis Gispert Artist Talk, MacKenzie Art Gallery and Art for Lunch

Luis Gispert was brought to the MacKenzie Art Gallery in conjunction with the Situation Comedy show. The New York based artist presented his body of work some of it based around hip hop culture which he participated in as a youth in Miami. Gispert plays with and subverts stereotypical images from that culture with humour to look at hybridizing of culture and cultural identities. I also think that by doing this, Gispert is also critiquing stereotypes associated with these cultures through this subversion. I enjoyed his work and the humour that he finds and creates in his work. I wish that I had enough money to create a film like Stereomongrel. It was beautiful and mystical. I was happy to be able to see it twice because it was a lot to take in at once. I could probably watch it again. Gispert himself was a down to earth nice guy and very approachable for an art star and I was able to have a good conversation with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home