Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Massimo Guerrera


Darboral (and the maintenance of a practice field), Dunlop Art Gallery

Darboral was a show by Montreal based artist Massimo Guerrera that was at the Dunlop Art Gallery this fall. People were required to leave their shoes at the door and entered the gallery space to find a collection of photographs from previous shows, ergonomical sculptures made from interactions with other people (shaking hand sculpture) which were made by a very touchable material called hydrastone, and most importantly an entire spread of food and it’s remains. Viewers were welcome to come into the gallery space and touch everything that was part of the show as well as sit down and enjoy some tea and snacks. This show is based around the theory of relational aesthetics. In this case this show is: “based on the notion that we are overridingly beings shaped by our relationships, he uses food as the main metaphor to implement this idea of constant change and digestion where certain people are concerned.” I attended the show with the artist in attendance. He was a very welcoming man who seemed to encourage an interesting interaction with and between the viewers. I realized that this was the show, if it really weren’t for the people participating in the space, it would not be the same show. The viewers make the show. I just liked that when I was at the library while the show was on and usually I was starving, I knew that I could stop by, visit with Margaret, have a cup of tea and a yummy snack. Is show a soup kitchen for poor students? I considered it but I was grateful anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home