Friday, September 22, 2006

Reasons for Numbers

Reasons for Numbers, Performance

Reasons for Numbers was a collaborative performance between John Noestheden and Michelle Sereda with Lee Henderson as a special guest. The premise of the performance was an interaction between the artist and his muse (Sereda representing Noestheden’s passions such as numbers and astronomy). Henderson played the role as the video artist who captured microcosms of the performance with a video camera that was projected on screens above the performance area. Visually it was an interesting performance (neon lighting, large crystal spinning around all I felt were for beauty’s sake) but I found it a little disjointed and confusing at time. The verbal dialogue (after the introduction of Noestheden’s practice) seemed disconnected or maybe I just didn’t get it or didn’t really feel like paying attention because of my confusion trying to put together all of the elements for the performance. I understood that some of the dialogue pertained to Noestheden’s art practice only because I was familiar with his practice where an outsider (like the friend that I brought along with me) would not quite understand that. The video element while quite beautiful but it kind of reminded me of video screens at rock shows where elements of the rock show are displayed on screens above the performers heads. I am not sure (and I really don’t think) that this was the intent. I didn’t really feel satisfied after the performance was done because it felt too short and disconnected but I did like the gluing of the crystals on the back especially on the video screen (again, it was pretty).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home